Benefits of Puppet Play
Explore How Children Learn from Hand Puppet Play
Hand Puppets are a natural and fun extension of the pretend play that young children engage in so readily. With a little encouragement from you, hand puppets will help your children develop some important learning skills. Hand Puppet play is imaginative and open-ended and equally freeing for adults. Let your child take the lead and you’ll be amazed at where you will go together.
Communication and Social Skills
- Hand Puppets are an ideal springboard for developing speaking and listening skills.
- Children often communicate more easily with puppets, giving them confidence to express their ideas and feelings
- Shy children can become acquainted with others through the roles they take on
- Children are free to try on new personalities and take them off again, with a puppet on their hand, broadening their own in the process.
- Scary animal hand puppets like lions and sharks or shy ones such as a tortoise can help children master uncomfortable feelings
- Puppet play provides an opportunity to gain some control over their world by working out fears and frustrations.
- Hand Puppet play helps young children develop creative skills by forcing them to use their imaginations. They make up the roles, the rules, the situations and the solutions.
- It is through imaginative play that children come to understand the differences between fantasy and
- The real world becomes more real to children who have opportunities to pretend.
Don't forget the Puppet Theatre
Half the fun of putting on a puppet play comes in planning the performance. But the final result requires a way to let kids showcase their creation. Whether you fashion one out bed sheets or purchase one ready made, a puppet theatre is a must!
Creating a puppet show as a family is a wonderful way to help kids learn to work as part of a group and strengthen family ties at the same time.